Friday, December 15, 2006

all good


this is a flower.

There was some important meeting going on
outside so Zane, Micha, Nick and I chose to stay inside
and watch.

DO NOT accept food from Jews, especially at Sedar.
The train station told me it was poison.

I just got word that I'll be going to Nasik on the 18th to take part in a 5 day yoga and music course. Then, on the 12th to 22nd of January there's 4am free yoga at the fair ground in Jalgaon. Staying busy and Indian.
By far the best thing that's happened to me recently is English teaching. Every morning at 10, an hour and a half before their regular school begins, my class of 20 smiling boys and girls files into the room and waits obidiently for my lesson. The kids pay attention to me like they would any dancing and pantomiming teenage foreigner but respect me like a teacher when it comes to exams and coming to class on time. I spend my evenings preparing lesson plans (I'm in need of a good beginner English book, not written in Hindi) In the morning I have to cycle over a 1km "bathroom field" with my colored chalk and graded papers on board.
I teach at a public Mahrati medium high school to a mix of 7th and 8th graders. Mahrati medium is synonomous with poor person's school, so I am actually providing the students with a service they wouldn't otherwise have. Of course, I probably get the greatest benefit out of it. It gives my life in Jalgaon some meaning and keeps me busy in a helpful way.

Expect a better written and more interesting entry in the next few days. Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

At 3:09 AM, Blogger Robin said...

Us Jews are dangerous. Happy Hannukah, btw.

I am in awe of the work you're doing with those kids. What an amazing experience.

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel,

that sounds amazing. how long have you been teaching there? Who set you up with the school position? And who organizes all these crazy yoga retreats-- your host father or rotary?

It sounds like you're having an amazing time and its awesome you've undertaken this teaching position--i'm sure the kids really love it. right now i'm writing a 20 page paper on nefertiti for finals and am sick with the flu. needless to say, i am incredibly jealous of your indian adventures and yoga retreats. one request if i may--take lots of pictures of food! especially since i've been eating jello and saltines for a couple days, some steaming indian dishes on my screen will be a welcome change.

much much love,
joanna

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, colored chalk is the worst, that stuff doesn't erase nearly as well as the white stuff.

...unless you've found some magical Indian chalk that does. If so, hook your brother up!

-J

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you need to contact me soon thanks in advance dJUST KIDDING!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home