Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Recent Wanderings

Just some crumbs for the many who won't hear a squeak from me for the next 30 days or so:

Vipissana meditation was perhaps the 10 most meaningful days of my life, certainly the most introspective (but what do you expect when you're not allowed to talk) I will be promoting it to all my people in the US when I return, but please don't write me off as another wide-eyed American college student who went to India and came back enlightened. The meditation is exactly what the Buddha taught before a religion sprouted up in his name. Vipissana teaches you how to keep track of your personality and emotions through long hours of observing bodily sensations. Once you learn the technique you can replace pain with a uniform flow of tingly-feeling while meditating-- kind of hard to describe how cool that feeling is. Go to dhamma.org if you're more curious about all that, or just wait for my testimonial in June.

My feet are throbbing from 5 hours of snack-walking in Calcutta. Never been in a hotter place in my life for such a long time, much less been walking around in the sun. I'm quickly retreating to Darjeeling in Sikkim, near the border of Bhutan. I think I've spent at least 3/4 of the last three days on trains or buses. And if you think that makes my life sound exhilarating, don't overlook that fact that I haven't had a shower in as many days....in India.....in the sun....with not too many clean clothes. Scumminess is not a crime, and for that I am thankful.

Soon after I get to Darjeeling I start the 28 Basic Mountaineering Course at the Himalayan Mountaineering Course. Plan to get trained in ice crevasse rescue, being cold, and hopefully a little bit of ice climbing. Getting permission and funding for the course required an impossibly lucky turn of events, props to parents and select Rotarians.

And then, it's my last month in India to wind up. Should I be expected to "take it easy" and spend my last month in Jalgaon, or does an addiction to movement demand that I stuff each moment and only get sleep when I reach the airport?

I'm a happy, grateful dude, and am hyped to get back to Brick City. Most of my mind wanderings during silent meditation involved my first few moments of getting home and the much anticipated pre-college summer of 2007. Send me an email while I'm out. It's gift gathering time....

5 Comments:

At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to let you know I'm travelin' along with you. Boy, do I wish I could!
Kathy

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Robin said...

Dan!! I'm so glad your meditation went well. I got your IM's from before you began, but I was asleep when they were sent and you were gone when I woke up.

You're my hero, I don't think I could ever do all these things you're doing. Continue to have a wonderful time and stay safe.
-Robin

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Robert Little said...

Contact me when you get back. I found a center on Dhamma I'm interested in.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Robert Little said...

Gunga Dan,

Be careful with that meditation. You might not want to look TOO deeply into that soul of yours.

Bob

 
At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heyy dano i miss you much. I swear that I will write that letter if its the last thing I do. Enjoy your last couple of months there because then you're all ours (ours meaning mad people that love you in the states) Not to jump the gun but we have to start planning our AT trip for this summa summa summatime. Thinking of you -sara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home